Sunday, November 27, 2016

What am I doing in Tallinn University?


Before I chose where will I study and what should I study, I was doing lot of soul searching and I came to realise that I want to do something great in the future. I'm sure most of us think the same way, but I'm also willing to work for it 110 %.

Today's world is quite a mess and it seems like war is affecting on all of us. Even when you live far way up in the North, it still affects you one way or another. I'm no Mother Theresa but I would love to do my share in helping as well. This is one of the main reasons why I chose Tallinn University.

I applied to do my masters in International Relations and major in International Security and Conflict Studies. After going through the programmes course descriptions, I knew this is the right university for me. When I submitted my application, I was in a rush to send out all of my documents. Thank god there were time for that, because otherwise I wouldn't have made it on time. Also to be quite honest I was impressed how smoothly the application went by. The whole process was basically done online and not for a second was I confused because through every step there were instructions on what to do.  All of the universities in Estonia use a site called Dream Apply (have a look if you want).


Tallinn University, Narva manatee 29.

Studying abroad is always a bit scary because we from Finland are used to a very high standard and in my experience not a single University in the world can reach to Finland's standard. How wrong was I.. When you live inside of a glass box, you do look outside but you never get the chance to breath the air from the other side of the glass. This is how I felt after the first night in my own house in Tallinn.



The first few classes were quite exciting for me. I had heard a lot about Tallinn University but of course I had my reservations towards it as well. I wasn't sure of the level of teaching but oh how happy I was when most of our professors were from abroad and all of them had one of the greatest backgrounds! Obviously everyone has their favourite professors by now and I also do!

Before I got accepted to this program, I had an interview with Professor Matthew Crandall, he is the programme administrator of International Relations. Already at the interview I felt like wow, this professor is amazing! After getting to know him more, I was so surprised for how supportive and amazing he is! Whatever concern or problem I had, he was always there to help me out. I can't figure out a single teacher/professor who was like this back in Finland. We students need to thrive and if we don't have the right kind of support, we will never have the courage to dig a little bit deeper. I don't want to be one of the mass, I want to be something different. I want to break the rules and create something new. And honestly, I know Tallinn University will be the right platform for me to do this.



Professor Matthew Crandall, at Tallinn University.

I know many Finns have expectations towards Universities in Estonia, some are bad and soma are good. I can't defend all of the Universities but I can definitely defend Tallinn University and my program.
This university is giving me chances I didn't even know existed and I can't wait to talk about journey. I have big dreams and bigger goals, and I truly hope all of you will be with me on this great journey.

With love,
Taj

No comments:

Post a Comment