Tuesday, July 15, 2014

A Piece of Heaven

I left my hometown, Hawler, almost a week ago because I wanted to go visit my family since I haven't seen them for almost more than 3 months. My family booked tickets to Turkey, Istanbul for a vacation and since Kurdistan and Turkey are 2h away by a plane, I came here too. I've spent more than couple of days here, and to be quite honest its pretty amazing. I love it how the middle eastern society mixes with the western society. One moment you hear the praying times and people going to the mosques and the second moment you hear "Tsunami" song all around the streets of Istanbul -Clubbing is nearly in every corner. When these two mixes, it gives me small heart attacks because it just doesn't make sense to me but still its amazing how well they get along. Now that needs looooot of adjusting. Hats off for that!

When I travel by taxi in Kurdistan and its the praying time the drivers actually put down the radio until the Mulla stops. But in here, totally different story. These small things makes me wonder about the world and everything that is happening right now. 

I'm walking down the Taksim shopping road and I look around. I can see every kind of people walking down that streets; there are dancers, singers, hippies, police officers, youngsters, oldies, you name it. At one end I see a protest "free palestine" and at the other end I see signs for "Israel". Confusing? Much.. My point: Turks are known for many things but no one has ever mentioned how adjustable they can be, how peacefully they all live together!

Throughout the media world all we see is pain and heart attacks, wars and more wars, conflicts, disasters but not a single good thing. If this world for once put their focus on the positive energy, we could build a strong foundation for a better future. Whats a better future? Let me tell you.

A better future is a future where we don't have to see videos of small children picking up tiny pieces of bread and cooking soup out of that! Ask yourself, how well you fed yourself today? How many times you ate? How many glasses of water you were able to drink today, tonight? And the worst part is that a 6 years old little girl knows better than 98% of the worlds population how not to waste food and throw it on the ground. We see it as trash, she sees it as a treasure. 

The crown of all this is the Holy Month Ramadan. This month teaches us to be humble, patient and good hearted. At least it should. But it doesn't because we are slaves to our routines, we cannot break any chain around our necks because we cannot even recognize what is happening around us right now. We sit in our cool houses, drive in our cozy Mercedes, give dime or two to beggars and feel like we have done our share. No. 

As insignificant as it sounds, those little pieces of bread are actually pieces of Heaven.  If we don't know how to treat heaven here on earth, how can we assume to even have a green light to see the doors of Paradise.


No comments:

Post a Comment