Tuesday, January 5, 2016

What's Up With 90's Generation?

I don't know if its the blood running through my veins or just the way I was raised up, but whenever I see strong women standing for their beliefs or fighting in the front-line beside men I feel a rush going through me. It feels like the whole world is counting on me to do something. It feels like I need to get up and stand for what I believe in.


"Live your beliefs and you can turn around the world"
                                                               Henry David Thoreau


What do I believe in then? A world where we all can live in peace. To some this might sound a bit of naive, but isn't that what we all want? There are young girls like Malala Yousafzai (who is my absolute favorite above all) that have dedicated her whole existence in protecting the fundamental right: equal education for everyone despite their gender



I have few fundamental beliefs as well and they are:


  1. The right to live in peace
  2. Food and water for everyone
  3. Equal rights for education


It's been couple of weeks now - and no it's not my New Year resolutions - that I've been thinking a lot what's next. Many of my friends know me for being very determinate and always up to date with all of my future plans. Not to mention that I also expect a lot from myself too. Maybe its the fact that the world is going through a lot or maybe I'm just lacking some excitement. 

A year ago I didn't even have a clear vision what should I do in the near future and currently I feel like the whole world is sitting on my shoulders and expecting a miracle from me. Do you ever feel like there is so much you need to accomplish but so little time? Yah.. Time is seriously our number one enemy. While we are thinking what's next, time keeps passing us by without even feeling bad for us!


But then again, why are we rushed to know what we want to do for the next 40 or 50 years? Why living feels like mass production; born, go to school, work, get married, get a mortgage, have kids, work some more and then die. 



Well no. Just no. I have and will always refuse to be the typical Kurdish woman who by the age of 26 has already a husband and 3 kids. Also I'm not degrading women who do decide to do so, because I have great deal of respect for them. My own sister has 3 beautiful daughters and she is - after my mom - the best mom I've seen. So don't get me wrong. 

What I mean is why can't the rest of us break the rules and make room to follow our own road. 

From a young Kurdish woman's perspective It's quite hard sometimes. The first problem sometimes starts within your own family; there is your own dad who strongly believes that women are "weaker" and therefore needs "protection". Yah, surely we might be weaker physically but we can do much more if we are given the possibility to do so. Right now I'm talking from experience. There has been so many times that I've had to prove my dad wrong but once I managed to do that I opened a new door to my own road. 


We also have someone very special that balances "Kurdish problems" and that's our mom. Kurdish mothers always wants the best for their children, especially daughters. Personally speaking its always my mother who convinces my dad to let me pursue my goals. Tho this doesn't mean we don't have to anything. Oh yes we do. We need to show our parents every single day that we are worth the trust, we need to prove them with high marks and excellency. Pretty tough to be a Kurdish woman but that's what makes us extremely powerful. It's the fact that we need to constantly work hard and exceed all expectations.

Despite the hard work and the need to argue with my dad each time even on the most simplest things - makes everything much more desirable once I've actually met my goals. I guess what I'm trying to say here is LIVE. If you want to chill and just watch Netflix, do that. If you want to become a doctor, study hard. If you want to be the next Obama, get up right now. And if you just want to be you, then be.

Stop with all the fuzz and for once just breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment